Monday, July 5, 2010

Homework!

Friday at the transmitter, Robin gave me a homework assignment:

Assume a radio station that receives network programming over a satellite link. Assume that the receiver for this link uses a dry contact closure to signal an automation system to play local content. Set up this scenario in ENCO DAD (Digital Audio Delivery).

To begin with, I'll need to reference the DAD manual at http://enco.com/Help/mainindex.htm .

At first, I thought it might be under Switchers. It looks like this is only for equipment controlled via serial connection, though.

Next, I found DAD's General Purpose Interface. This looks promising: "The General Purpose Interface allows DAD to control external devices via relay outputs [GPO], and enables DAD to receive external command signals (inputs) [GPI] from devices such as a satellite controller, a master clock or a manual push button from a Console". I think we have a winner.

So, to begin with, I'll assume that there is a GPI card (or a USB GPI interface, but I'm just going to call it a "card") of some sort installed in the machine running DAD. I'll further assume that the GPI card has been installed in the DAD machine and set up according to the instructions. I'll assume that the length of the break in network programming is precisely known, rather than the satellite system signalling at the start of the break and at the end of the break. I'll assume that local content is live.

I'll use input #0 on my hypothetical GPI card for the satellite receiver. I'll use output #0 to control the switch from live to satellite. Assuming no other inputs connected to the card, my GPI file (I'll call it 'DAD.GPI') should look something like this:



"ENABLE GPO 0 FOR <x> SECONDS"
""
""
""
""
""
""
""



Note that "<x>" here is the length of the pause in satellite output, in seconds.

I'm not certain this is exactly what Robin had in mind. I'll give it to him and post his comments.

UPDATE: Robin's comments: "You are on the right track. You have the basics but it will take a little more to make it work."

No comments: